Tuesday, February 3, 2009

You can't judge a banana by its peel

I forgot to write this yesterday, but it is just as well...I'd like to make a tip each day, so let's just say I saved it (like a penny!) for today.

At the commissary, and I know at grocery stores all the time, they have the "scratch and dent" food. The box is smashed on the corner, the can is dented, the produce is about to expire. So yesterday I see a bunch of bananas that still have a hint of green around the stem. They all have black scratch marks on them. You know, like maybe they were at the bottom of the pile, had a rough ride to the store, or were handled by some toddlers. They were very firm, and clearly just bruised, not overripe.

Lately, I've been peeling and freezing in a ziploc several bananas at a time, then making a smoothie for breakfast. Smoothie = 1 frozen banana, 1/2-1 c frozen strawberries, about 1/2 c fat free or low fat plain yogurt if I have it, if not 1c skim milk. (If I have the yogurt, I just put about 1/2 c of the milk so that it will blend better). Throw it all in the blender (Magic Bullet blender!) and wa-la, healthy breakfast!

Back to my story-I've been buying just regular bananas, I have no idea how much they cost. 39cents per pound sounds familiar. Well, yesterday there were several "scratch and dent" bags. So I got 5 bananas. For FIFTY CENTS! :) pleased with self.

No comments: