Friday, February 13, 2009

$2-$3? FOR A DRINK???

That's right. Just about anywhere you go, it's going to run you a couple bucks for a beverage. Some days I'd pay $5 for 4 ounces of ice cold fountain Coke! And that's okay! But most days I'd be just as happy with some water to wash down my meal. It's better for my body anyway! So, today's lesson:

Just because it's part of the "meal deal" doesn't mean it is cost effective or even a "deal" at all.

If you are getting a meal to go, or eating in a food court type setting, take a small bottle of water with you. This can be a refillable Nalgene or those stainless steel type bottles, or a disposable Dasani (or whatever). Two notes-#1: I'm told it is not a good idea to buy one disposable and keep refilling it. Something about bacteria or the plastic leeching out or something. #2: I get it if you don't want to whip out your stash in a restaurant for fear of embarrassment or being told you can't do that.

Anyway, it is less expensive than $2, that's for sure.


Today at Taco Bell:

1 Nacho Bell Grande (no tomatoes, and BTW, I think I'm going to ask how much for extra tomatoes and when they tell me I'm going to ask for a discount since I don't want any. ;) )
+ 1 cruncy taco

total: $4.88

Same food as a number whatever. Who am I kidding? I know it's a #5. I've ordered it enough times! To be fair, the taco isn't a "supreme", so I'm missing out on a squirt of sour cream and more tomatoes I don't want.

Cost of #5? $6.89. That's $2.01 for a drink.

Again, I'm not asking you to give up your favorite. If you really think the meal is better with the Coke (or Dr Pepper or whatever) GET IT. I'd be getting it at Sonic! I'm just letting you know, you have options. They try to make you think you don't. Here's how the conversation went:

TB Guy: WelcometoTacoBellCanItakeyourorder? <--said REAL FAST as though it is one word. That's how our Taco Bell guy is.

Me: One Nacho Bell Grande no tomatoes and one crunchy taco, please.

TB Guy: You want the meal?

Me: No thank you.

TB Guy: Drink?

Me: No thank you.

TB Guy: Wouldyoulikecinnamoncrispswiththat?

Me: No thank you.

TB Guy: Hereortogo?

Me: Here, please.

TB Guy: $4.88.

I'm in and out under five dollars.

3 comments:

carrmomma said...

Route 44 with no ice (double the coke in my mind) is only $1.07 between 2-4pm daily. I LOVE YOU SONIC!!!!

carrmomma said...

And btw, why are you gonna charge me for extra tomatoes when she didn't get any?!?!? Just give me hers! (or something like that!)

Good times. Good times.

HeatherRene said...

LOL, on the tomatoes, exactly! But when you are by yourself (or with someone who also doesn't want them) I think you should be entitled to an out and out discount!

and yeah...I'm finding some cash in the budget for the Sonic beverage! :)