Friday, September 19, 2008

Stress revealed in dreams

I am assuming I am more stressed about the situation on the Gulf Coast than I would like to admit. For the past 3-4 nights I have dreamed about storms and flooding. I'm walking through flooded streets up to my waist or chest and brushing aside storm debris. I wake up because the water is too cold and realize that it's cold in our bedroom and that's why I've woken up. (because yeah, it's already been 37-39 degrees in the morning)
The unit we saw off to deployment last October is due home January-ish. We have been talking about homecoming activities, and yesterday I saw some footlockers on another post that had been sent forward from a unit that is returning this weekend. They send their stuff ahead so it doesn't have to go on the plane with them, and it can be put in their barracks and it's there for them when they return. Well, last night I dreamed that our unit had started to ship their things home. We were putting the different lockers in the rooms by name. I took one and it was sloshy. I opened it and it was full of murky water with wood slivers and plastic parts. I tried to salvage some of the belongings and make it look nice for when the Soldier returned. My heart was aching at what he was going to come home to.

I woke up thinking...and there it is. My worlds just collided in my sleep.

No comments: